racing archives
Firebird International Raceway, Arizona

Ok so maybe testing the weekend before a race weekend with a newly healing collarbone may not have been the best decision.   But after having the troubles that I had at Daytona with the season opener I needed to make sure the bike was ready for Fontana.  Well I had been having running issues with the Superbike, Saturday afternoon I managed to get it running properly so I packed the truck and stayed up too late getting ready for Sundays testing.   Looking back on it now I see that it was not the best decision but this is a situation I had been in before.  Being a privateer who builds his own motors and preps his own bikes there is never enough time, so you never get the proper amount of sleep.  I managed to finally get to sleep around 1-2 am and was back up at 5 am to head out to the track to shake the bike down. 

The event was a Southwest Road Racing club (sanctioned by CCS) race.  There were two races I had entered in and there was three practice sessions.  I went out in the morning warm up sessions and just cruised around to make sure that the bike was going to run properly.  Immediately after the morning practice sessions was Unlimited GP qualifying, a 10 minute session.  I finally tried to put my head down and ride a little harder in qualifying and put in a 1:08.3 which put me in 3rd on the grid.  I knew that I had at least 2 seconds per lap more in me and the bike.  After qualifying was the first race for me, Unlimited Superbike.  I was planning to use this race as a warm up and a chance to finally put my head down in preparation for the Unlimited GP race after lunch.   After the start of the Unlimited Superbike race I had planned to not lead the race but to just get in with the lead group and follow for the opening couple laps then work my way to the front and make an attempt for the lead. 

Unfortunately I did not make it that far.  In the opening laps I highsided coming out of turn 12 and managed to hit the wall and was collected by my bike.  I managed to re-break my right collarbone, break one of my ribs off my spine, damaged my right shoulder (again), and sprain my right wrist. 

So the morale of the story is …..  Racing as a privateer hurts ……  a lot ……